Thursday, November 13, 2008

Day 2, Part 2 (The Deuce)

It's a better day out in the world: no rain and some blue sky believe it or not. Everything's still soggy and it's still early enough for traffic, but I'm going out, not in, so it's only an observation for me, not a heartache.

Rolling in to L's neighborhood. Stop at a stop sign and see a white-as-a-wedding-dress dog in the bushes staring at me. I give him a smile and get nothing in return. This dog may as well be carved into Mt. Rushmore with all the emotion I'm getting. Impassive. Still as the deepest lake in winter. Kinda pisses me off. I've got the Leppard on the stereo and my sunglasses on. You wanna try me out Lassie? I give him the hairy eyeball, full intensity. Nada. We lock in like twin arm wrestlers. 30 seconds. A minute. Nothing. I'm good, can go all day buddy. You don't even know. I have a belly full of cereal and you are going down like an '08 republican. If he hears the car behind me, he doesn't show it. Total commitment. Me, I'm surrounded by all the Hysteria. Oblivious. Finally there's an impatient "WTF?" honk. Kujo looks first. Moving on.

My hunch pays off and it only takes a minute at the house to find a barrel of trash. Down to the curb. It's never that easy though, is it? The twist is: more yard debris. The can is obviously L's. So whose twigs are already by the street? Grandma? There's peach-fuzz mold all over the stuff in L's can. It wasn't left here yesterday. I don't like the way this caper is shaking out, but I'm not in charge. I decide to leave it. There are other mysteries left to solve today, like "what am I having for lunch?" and "can I afford to get some more gas?" I don't like leaving a client in the lurch, but I'm not likely to get any answers from the cracks in the sidewalk or the leaves in my tea. Or Belize. The earth will keep spinning.

As I roll out I pass albino Benji cruising the sidewalk. Head down, he doesn't even give it a try as I pass by. Better luck next time bubba. Mental note to get a real life.

No comments: